Friday, July 8, 2011

RTOTD #434.1

Day 434.1

So I know I've talked rather extensively about buying a house recently. And I know most of you are sitting there thinking (or screaming at the computer monitor. I prefer to imagine you all doing that) "we know you're buying a house, asshole! Now shut the fuck up about it!" but I'm still gonna talk more about it today.

For all the things that I fucking HATE about moving, there's one thing that I do genuinely enjoy. And that's the "cleaning out stuff" aspect of it.

You know what I'm talking about. You're about to move and you look around at all your stuff and start thinking "I don't wanna move all this shit". So, while you're in the packing process, you start going thru all of it and realizing "I haven't used this in 12 years. why the fuck do I keep moving it with me every time I move again?". Especially when you're still in your 20's or early 30's and you move every few years or even every year.

So instead of taking another box or 3 worth of crap like old yearbooks from highschool that have been in boxes since 1998 or that little dog with the bobblehead that your grandma gave you that she won in a bingo game,  you decide it's time to start cleaning crap out. No more lugging around boxes of stuff that will just stay boxed up until you move again.

That's what I'm doing right now.

Except with buying the house, my dad told me "good, now you can get the rest of your crap out of my basement & garage". So I'm not really going thru much in the line of boxes from my place and instead, I'm going thru all my old stuff in my parents' house.


These fucking long boxes probably weigh 50 lbs each
when filled with comics. Fuck carrying all that.
 So far, I've come up with like 700 pounds of stuff to either throw away, sell or donate (and I'm only about half way done)

For instance, about 1500 comic books in 6 long boxes. I had 30 long boxes (about 7000)l, but I'm not moving 30 long boxes of comics. So I went thru them and pulled out all the crap I'll never read again or is just taking up space and managed to fill up 6 of the long boxes with shit that I bought over the years that I hated or it sucked. I'm totally gonna sell them. Looks like they're going on Craigslist.

An electric/acoustic guitar. Apparently a very nice one from what google told me. I don't even play the fucking guitar. I'm tone deaf. I don't even remember where... oh... wait... nevermind. Yeah, I remember now. An ex got it for me cause she thought, since I was a musician, I should have a guitar. So... anyone wanna buy a guitar? Where do you even sell one anymore? Craigslist again, I guess.

Boxes (and boxes and boxes) of old college books. Christ, I have a shitload of old college books. I changed majors a lot. They're probably fucking worthless at this point. They're like 10 years old and colleges update far too often for them to be worth anything.

Like 400 cd's. I converted everything to digital like 12 years ago. Between iTunes, torrents and the stuff I already ripped into mp3, what the fuck do I ever need a CD for? CDWarehouse, here I come!


To this day, I still love the look & sound of vinyl.
(especially if it's a hot girl wearing it)
 I also did manage to find a bunch of old vinyl that is totally coming with me. Like original pressings of a shitload of classic rock albums. Now, I just need to get a new turntable. I still love vinyl. Though I think I'll have to do something with disposing of the 8-Track player & tapes that went with it. Although, a totally vintage stereo set-up would be kinda tits.

This doesn't even include my drum kit (which is totally coming) and all my old toys from when I was a kid.

Juse the massive amount of old paperwork, college notebooks and junk electronics is enough to fill probably another 3 or 4 garbage bags. I'm gonna have so much trash.

You mean a 50's Housewife does NOT
come with the house? I'm calling bullshit
cause I totally need one of these.



As for the stuff at my place now, I've learned to live light with all the moving around I was doing. It was down to books, furniture, dvds, a few personal items and clothing/linens. So I don't have to do too much "going thru stuff" there. Which is nice.

 But the downside of all this is that with moving into a place I'm not planning on moving out of anytime within the next, oh... 15 or 20 years at least? ... I'm going to start accumulating crap again. The way I did when I was younger and never moving around.

I'm gonna have to start doing spring-cleaning now, aren't I?

(coming later today... Mad Libs edition for RTOTD #434.2)

No comments:

Post a Comment