Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Random Thought Of The Day #740

Day 740

I've spent about 20 hours combined (between yesterday and today) working on finding 1 fucking picture that I can do something cool to in order to turn it into a book cover. And then stumbling around like a blind man who had all of his furniture rearranged overnight while I try to figure out how to use photo editing software. I suck at that shit.

I am just generally not a fan of DOING any sort of computer-related art. I love that you theoretically CAN do so much cool shit with all the software out there, but I just don't know what I'm doing. I'm pretty sure a spastic kindergartener knows more about photoshop than I do.

I love making art. But I prefer doing it with a pencil and paper and then inking it. I prefer to do it with a paintbrush. Or I prefer making it with my fucking hands. That's actual art to me. I respect the shit out of the people that know what they're doing in photoshop, but fuck that noise. I just don't care to even learn it at this point. It's not my thing. I probably should have tried learning a decade and a half ago when I had a copy of photoshop 5 or 6 or something. But sadly, I won't use a tutorial. I won't sit through and read a 200 page how-to guide to figure out how to do something like that. It should be intuitive. Like drawing or painting. They're intuitive.

You sketch before you draw.  You mold before you sculpt. But it's all intuitive. You start with a single line and go from there. You start with a blank slate. You start with a block of clay or an object.

Photo editing though? That's a whole different fucking ballgame.  You start with something that's already there and then you make it different using arbitrarily named tools that don't seem to function in a consistant manner from picture to picture, or even use to use. I just can't get used to that. When I draw a line that is 4 inches long for something, it will be a 4 inch long line every fucking time. I click on some gather tool or selecting tool and it picks different shit each time. And in a different way. I can't get used to that. And I don't like it.

And now I'm done bitching about photo editing.

Maybe I'll just draw a cover. Though a random comic-book looking cover with superheroes that nobody has ever seen before would be a kind of "what the fuck?" thing when they open it up and try to read it. Plus, I wouldn't want to actually color any of my black & white inked pencils. LOL! Cause that means either colored pencils, paint, or using fucking photoshop to color it in. NO. No No NO.

No comments:

Post a Comment