Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Event Apathy - RTOTD #829

Day 829

So here's a challenge for you all:

Convince me why I need to re-think my "fuck events' policy and make an argument for why any specific event is special. Pick your favorite event and tell me why it's killer and why I should want to go. Because I am reaching a point where I am maybe(?) re-thinking my "fuck events" policy but can't really figure out why I should reverse it. Nothing I can think of is doing the job, but it's a policy I've had for a while now and I've justified it with things like "you can't drink there so it's not really your scene" and "you hate dealing with new people at this point and 95% of people at events are new people so it's not really your scene" and "you don't really play much at this point and none of the classes speak to you, so why not just stay home and watch tv?" or "I'm tired of seeing naked people that I don't want to see naked and it seems like events are filled to the brim with them" and other arguments that a narcissist with some borderline sociopathic tendencies would make.

And they're all very true and very accurate arguments as to why I shouldn't bother to change my mind. But I'm trying to have a more fair debate in my head about it and can't come up with much beyond "new boobs, some of which I might actually want to see" or "I can play the 'see how many people I can make hate me' game with strangers in a different city" but those kinda suck.

So that's where you come in. I want you to push me off the fence. I can't remember why I enjoyed them at all in the first place, or if I really even did. The cynical side of me has been telling me for a while now that the only reason I ever bothered with events in the past is because whoever I was fucking at the time really wanted to go. And to keep them happy, I'd give in and go and then, once there, I just kinda meh'd my way thru it all weekend until it was time to go home and I could go back to not giving a fuck. But I don't know if that's actually true or just something else I tell myself to reinforce my "fuck events" policy.

That's why I want you to try to convince me otherwise. Hell, just use it as a chance for you to pimp whatever event you really care about.Or tell me to stay the fuck away from your event if you're an organizer and don't want to deal with me. Or it might make me really want to go to your event then if for no other reason than to fuck with you and cause a problem. Because I'm a dick like that.

But I want to try to find some of what I used to think was passion again and maybe hearing about the passion of others will help me find mine again.

Blah.

No comments:

Post a Comment