Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Random Thought Of The Day #474

Day 474

@ElitistFucks ASSEMBLE!!

Or disassemble.

Or just do whatever you feel like. I don't care.

But if you're free either Wednesday or Friday of this week (or both), it's TWICE the Elitism... TWICE the Fuckery... 2 munch-like-things this week.

Here's the TL;DR version of todays thought... What the fuck is the @ElitistFucks? Is it a munch group? or is it just a bunch of friends hanging out?

And here's the full version:

See... kinda like I couldn't figure out what to call this thing I write here, I can't figure out what quite what the @ElitistFucks get-together things are either.

Defining what this thing is was kinda weird because I hate the world Blog. It's this stupid word that's become part of the vernacular and comes across kinda pretentious yet kinda like the half-assed version of actual writing at the same time. It's not a column because, to me, it implies the print medium... or getting paid. Neither of which is accurate for this thing. And it sure as fuck isn't a journal, because that implies privacy and there's nothing about this that's private. Mostly because there's not much about me that's private. And a diary is something that a 6 year old girl has... so it's not that either.

But the @ElitistFucks thing is kinda weird in it's own right.

It's organic. Completely organic. No leadership, just my dumb ass that made the Twitter feed for it. But I don't remember the last time I actually said "hey, let's do a thing this week!". Most of the time, it's just one of the others that say "we need to do a thing this week" and I say "cool" about 12 seconds before I make the twitter announcement about it. And we just invite people we like.

And it's not really a munch... we eat, but mostly we pick places that have good beer selections & good drinks. There's no set location. Just wherever pops into my head when I make the post.

There's no set "x'th tuesday of the month" thing like the other groups. Just kinda when we feel like it.

But the other distinguising characteristic is that it's invitation only. We make no effort to be "inclusive of everyone" or anything like that. It's a group of close friends. An ever-expanding group too. In the span of like 4 months, it's gone from 3 or 4 of us that were bored and wanted to grab drinks to about 20. Without any attempt at recruiting newbies.

It's not so much just doing it because way the other groups work sucks or something. No, they work just fine. This is just something different. Bringing a little bit of chaos back into being in a portion of the counter-culture. The kink word is part of the counter-culture. So why do we feel compelled to run it the same way as groups within the dominant culture? Why run it with the same kind of social structures? The same kind of format? Why not do something a little different?

I'd like to think that this is something different. And if every other group worked the same way that this one does, I think I'd probably want to be part of something different than that too. Maybe that's what this whole thing is about... just doing something a little different than what everyone else is. Or maybe that's just trying to think a lot deeper about this thing than it is. Cause to be perfectly honest? All it is, is a bunch of people going to grab some food & drink and bullshit for a couple hours.

*shrug* I don't know... it's not a munch, but it's a munch. What the fuck is it?

Here's some Deadpool (being better than everyone ever) for reading to the bottom:

No comments:

Post a Comment