Monday, September 19, 2011

Random Thought Of The Day #478

Day 478

I'm so confused by some of the things I've read in the past 24-48 hours.

I read some doucherocket fly off the handle about a dear friend regarding the organization of an age-restricted group. I mean... look... the legitimacy of an age-restricted group is certainly something that can be reasonably questioned. But really... pulling the "crazy dyke rage" card to de-legitimize a group is kinda fucking stupid. Especially with the group-runner in question if you know her. Granted, I've probably heard more ridiculous arguments.... but not many. Straw-man, thy name is some... douchebag whose name I don't even care to remember.

Personally, I'm golden with age-restricted groups. I think we focus a little too much on "inclusion" and not enough on being fucking reasonable and allowing people to do whatever the fuck they want and just ignoring other groups we aren't welcome at. I do it with a lot of groups. Maybe it's because I don't mind being the "unwelcomed" and kinda wear it with a badge when I think the groups in question are fucking crazy. But hey... that's me... I don't mind being the bad guy. Some people just want to feel welcomed wherever they go. And I guess that's cool... but if you're welcomed everywhere & everyone likes you wherever you go, it just means you don't stand for anything.

I don't know where the fuck this "don't judge" bullshit came from. I know I'm not perfect, far from it. But I still have the ability to make a judgement call on persons, places or things once I have a reasonable amount of knowledge on them. And I think anyone with 2 firing neurons should aim to do so as well.

We do it every day, but we pretend to have this "I don't judge" attitude with everyone to seem like we've become more "enlightened". (I'm not going to bother pointing out that being enlightened requires knowledge and processing that knowledge into judgements, but I guess I just did.) Oftentimes that judgement on one aspect of them won't change my opinon of them as a whole, but on the rare occasion it does.

We make judgements on people by experiences. Some positive, some negative, some neutral. And when the neutral and positive outweigh the negative, we generally get along with people. When the converse is true, the converse is also true. Either that, or you don't have any standards for friendship.. and that's kinda sad.

Now... just to be clear... I said it's ok to judge... not to pre-judge. Get some fucking knowledge and then make a call, but for the love of... well... the ScienceJesus... make some judgements on your own. It's perfectly ok to say "yeah, I don't really like that because of X".

Then, I read someone make an announcement for an event that contained the worst grammar I've seen in a public posting during the past millenium. (I was there for the whole thing. I can prove it. With SCIENCE!!)

Hey... cool. New play-space or whatever. Awesome. But really? Can't you at least post something that doesn't make the language centers of my brain want to jump out of my skull, travel thru the internet and punch the person posting it? Proof-reading is your friend. Fuck... copy and paste it into a word document and run "grammar check" once... watch your computer have a seizure from trying to process the massive clusterfuck of words you just threw at it, cross your fingers that you didn't just give it a stroke and hope to eventually sort out a coherent thought from the jibberish.

Hey, I butcher the language as much as the next person, but I do my damnedest to not come off as some pretentious assbag, wordy or like I didn't pass 2nd grade English.

And finally, I read the Netflix e-mail this morning about the seperation of streaming and dvd-by-mail services into 2 different websites. It started with an attempt at an apology for the price hike, but quickly turned into a "well, sorry you didn't understand how we were screwing you, but we're not really screwing you with the price hike, we're just screwing you with the change in how the services are going to be offered and making it infinitely less user-friendly but hey... what other option do you have?". This is one of those times where my bullshit detector went off immediately. And yeah... I finished reading and I fucking judged.

So the theme today children is what?... Yes!! ENGLISH IS USEFUL!

The ability to properly convey complex thoughts in an understandable manner is paramount. Learn it. It's helpful.

Otherwise.... you pretty much sound like this:


No comments:

Post a Comment