Thursday, September 22, 2011

Random Thought Of The Day #481

Day 481

Today we're going to play a game. It's a simple game. Just think back into the 90's and try to remember what your electronics were like back only 15 years or so ago.

I remember that my home computer had about 5% of the computing power that my telephone has right now. The Pentium chip was the shit, but I was still stuck with a 486 processor with all of 133 Mhz bus speed.

I remember that I had no idea why anyone would need more than about 750 mb of hard drive space.  And a 750 mb desktop hard drive was like $300. I bought an ultra-portable 1 Tb drive a month or so ago just for my iTunes movies/music for $80.

I remember thinking how cool the Motorola StarTac looked. Every other cell phone was a 4 lbs brick. I remember how geeked I was when I first got one of those and had it from 1998 thru 2001 and was totally bummed when I lost it and had to get a "modern" phone.

What the fuck was a text message?

AOL Instant Messenger was the greatest invention ever.

Digital Cameras were the size of a house brick with and took worse pictures than my Fisher-Price one with the flash cube from when I was 7.

I remember that I still had a console TV from the 80's sitting in my living room.

I remember that Sega Genesis was the be-all-end-all of cartridge gaming, Fuck Super Nintendo! & the playstation was some weird novel concept.  Who would think that you could play a game on a cd? Sega CD failed... why would Sony's cd games work?

MiniDisc was the format of the future.

Why would you NOT need a home phone?


So... what do you remember?

I feel really old now. There's going to be people here reading this that think "wait... what the fuck was a mini disc? & how do you play a video game with a cartridge?"

No comments:

Post a Comment