Thursday, December 1, 2011

Random Thought Of The Day #527

Day 527

So I figure I'll do my part & pimp the Fetish 101 party that's coming up. I'm not sure WHEN it is, and I'm not going since they banned smoking inside the building during the party, but it's coming up this weekend, I think. You can find the info on here. I think a couple people have mentioned it recently in posts in the local group forums.

They're fun parties. Enjoy the play. Enjoy the availability of a temporary playspace. It's good. Especially for those that want to play more often than at the parties me & the roomies throw or in a different environment or if you don't know me & I don't give you the address or I just don't like you & don't give you the address. But they're a good time.

So there. I did my part again.

But now I have nothing I really need to talk about. I got a bunch of suggestions last week on topics. Apparently me mentioning that I do take suggestions means that like 20 people will send me some.

Though the one common one that I've seen was the topic of attention whores. How awash the local groups are with them. Among other aspects.



Honestly, they're everywhere. In the community. Outside of it. In every group of people.

Fuck, I'm kind of an attention whore. I just do it in a different way. I write & hope to see people talk about it or comment or whatever.

I'm the last one to defend anything to do with the community. I don't play well with others. I think that's kinda obvious. But complaining about attention whoring at this point, in the days of the 15 minutes of intarwubz fame & the "famous for being famous" world we've established is like complaining that politicians suck. It's not bad to note every once in a while just for the sake of mentioning it, but it's the new standard. It's not a passing trend, as much as it sucks, and it's not changing anytime soon unless it's to an even more annoying social dynamic.


This has nothing to do with the community. But see...
even Deadpool is kind of an attention whore sometimes.

I mean... it's just another "truism" at this point. Something that just... is. Get used to it. Trust me, I can't fucking stand it either, but when there's at least something approaching an income to be made off of fetish modeling, event presenting, toy-making or anything else... becoming a "known" commodity in the community is one of the ways to compete towards these dollars.

Now... that's not to say that everyone that's an attention whore is doing it to make some bank out of it. Hell, I'm pretty sure that most people with 2 firing neurons know that they won't ever make a penny out of the kink world. A lot of them just want to find a partner or someone to play with for a day, a week or a few months. And attention whoring gets them that. Making a spectacle of themselves is one way to get the attention that brings notoriety which brings meeting new people which can lead to new play partners.

Look... Attention whoring is just one way to "sell" yourself to strangers or people that you only know in passing. If you don't "sell yourself" in some way, you end as a wallflower. I'm not saying it should be considered a valid method of doing so, but it works. And it's the way of the world now. Throw in social media and the personal virus that I've talked about people creating in the New World & you have a recipe for making attention whoring a perfectly effective method for seeking the kind of approval most people want.

Attention whoring elicits a response. Be it a positive or negative one. It gets the person noticed. And validates their methods.

So I know it sucks but attention whoring isn't going anywhere. It's the new way of the social media world. Complain about it & you validate it. Ignore it and, unless everyone else does as well, it'll stick around as well cause SOMEONE will fall for it. So you're all kinda stuck with it.



Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment