Friday, November 16, 2012

Random Thought Of The Day #751

Day 751

So I've been thinking about this and wanted to get some reaction.

Is it just me, or does this daily column never really have a shelf-life? It seems like, with 1 or 2 notable exceptions, out of just shy of 1000 total writings, once midnight rolls around, that's kind of the end of any "loves" or comments or anything.

I guess it's like me in bed. No staying power anymore. Hey, it comes with age and getting fat. Shut up.

Is it just because there is so MUCH to wade through that things never really pop back up? Or is it just mediocre writing? Or is it the title? Does giving every single one the same title with just a different number kinda kill its marketability? Or maybe because it's often topical?

I'm not entirely sure.

I've just been thinking a lot more about this recently. I often see something that was on K&P a while ago pop back up there out of the blue. Like it gets found and remembered and more people comment on it and it hangs around again. Conversely, once I write something... by the next day, it's forgotten and in the ash heap of history. It sits in an archive and nobody really ever brings it up again.

I'm not complaining. I'm just curious... I think maybe because nobody wants to wade through almost 1000 writings just to find that one that they wanted to talk about again that I wrote many months or weeks or even days ago. It takes forever to wade through that crap. Maybe I should just start moving my "Best-Of" writing over to the @ScienceJesus profile so people can comment on them there and not have to dig through hundreds of posts to find the one they wanted.

But I'm curious. What is it that makes everyone move on from whatever yesterday's topic was and over to something else today? Internet ADD? Lack of substance to the discussion? Lack of substance to the writing itself? Futility of finding that ONE post you wanted to go back to?

I figure, since you're the readers and commenters, you're the ones to ask. So I really kinda wanna know. And yes, I want to know even if the answer is "you suck".

No comments:

Post a Comment